Thursday, August 23, 2007

Totally Awesome Cookies!


RankingBlogs.com :: Defining Your Blogs Worth: TopSites:


I got this recipe from All Recipes (Award Winning Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies). The cookies turned out really well. But by making a few changes, it turns into an awesome cookie. It’s very rich.

When I first started to bake, I made a lot of cookie recipes on the cheap. This is not a cheap cookie to make. If the recipe called for butter, my theory was butter and margarine are about the same and margarine is cheaper. I have since learned that if a recipe calls for butter, use butter. There is a difference.

You are going to notice that the dough is very heavy, with a pound of butter in it, you’re going to get heavy too. I read somewhere that you can also gain weight, not just from eating, but also from smelling food. I’m in big trouble, I just made 22 dozen of these. My son and daughter-in-law are having a party to celebrate the finalization of Alex’s adoption. It’s a very weird feeling for six months that at any time, someone can come and take your baby away. But everything is final now and we’re celebrating!

The original recipe says that this makes 6 dozen cookies. I used a soup spoon to measure mine and I got 3 ½ dozen.


Awesome Chip Cookies

4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups butter, softened
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
2 (3.4 ounce packages) INSTANT cheesecake pudding mix
4 eggs
4 Tablespoons vanilla extract
4 cups DARK CHOCOLATE/RASPBERRY baking chips
2 cups chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder, add the salt, and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Stir in the baking chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto a ungreased cookie sheet.
3. Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven. Cookie edges will be golden brown.

Experiments:

1. If you use vanilla pudding mix, the flavor is not as intense.
2. If you use chocolate pudding mix, the cookie seems drier. (I ran out of vanilla flavoring, so I used rum flavoring – this may be why they were drier) I really didn’t like these, so I had some fun size Snickers. I cut the Snickers in thirds and put them on top of the cookie before and after baking. They are much better before baking.
3. If you use, chocolate/caramel chips, they turn out pretty good. But there is something about the dark chocolate/raspberry chips that makes them even better.

I’m going to put this recipe on all my sites, I think it’s that good. So, you may stumble onto it again.

No comments: